Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Blessing

I remembered something that happened to me in January of 2005 when we were last in Burkina Faso, Africa at the Village of Hope. I believe it was the origin of SimpleSteps Walk but I didn't connect the two until a week ago when suddenly the picture seemed evident.

Pastor Michel grew up in Burkina Faso (then called Upper Voluta), as he grew he felt the call of God on his life. He began his ministry by taking a slide projector and visiting remote villages each weekend while he was in Bible School. Through these successful excursions Pastor Michel became known in almost all parts of their country.

When we first met Pastor Michel and his wife Lydia we were introduced to a man of prayer, vision, and obedience. His authentic faith inspired me to grow in mine. And then God used him in Paul's life in a way that can only be called a miracle.

While in Africa we take many precautions to avoid "tourista" the irritation of the bowels by foreign bacteria. Whether it was by opening his mouth in the shower, putting his fingers in his mouth, drinking from a contaminated bottle, or brushing his teeth with the wrong water he had gotten sick. All the symptoms were taking over his body: high fever, diahreah, vomitting. For two days he lay on the floor in a small round hut at the work site waiting for the illness to pass. On the third day someone mentioned to Pastor Michel that Pastor Paul was sick and perhaps he should pray over him. So simply and powerfully he called on God to heal Paul. Immediately, Paul felt the fever leave, his stomach settled and his bowels stopped churning. He sat up, then stood and decided he should be out at the work site helping with the project. I didn't think he should go back to work so quickly in the 50 degree heat but he assured me he was fine. For supper that night we were having stew with large chunks of meat and potatoe. Paul helped himself to a large plateful. Dr. Bill who was a team member warned Paul not to indulge in the stew (especially such a generous helping)so soon after his recovery. But he continued to eat and didn't suffer any affects from his supper.

That miracle happened on my first trip to the Village of Hope. It was on my second trip there that something unusual happened to me. Paul & I were walking across the yard at the village and I noticed Pastor Michel sitting on the dining hall porch. He had been struggling with exhaustion and burn out at the time. As I looked at him sitting there I felt an urge (I suppposed from the Holy Spirit) to ask him to bless me. Hesitating I thought how I would feel embarrassed to make such a request but the image would not leave. So I swallowed hard and asked Paul to come with me. I could tell that Pastor Michel was surprised and even embarrassed as I asked him to bless me. In fact he asked Paul for permission first. Then, as I kneeled at his side, he laid his hand on my head and began to pray. I don't remember the words, I don't remember any electric shocks moving through my body, I don't remember anything but that I did what I thought I was being asked to do.

That happened in January of 2005, and I had honestly forgotten about it until just last week. And it became clear to me that God had a plan to bless this village of children with a over weight, middle aged, Pastor's wife who thought she heard His voice calling her.

I didn't start this project because I thought I could walk 3o00 km, or because I was physically ready. I believe that its His plan and that He will complete it in me and in you. Obedience is only a simple step.

No comments: