Friday, October 26, 2007

On the way to Africa

Hello my friends and neighbours! Paul and I are getting set to leave for Africa on October 31. We will be working at the Village of Hope and will be symbolically presenting the proceeds from the walk to the children at the village. It promises to be a great time of closure for me. Although large sums of money continues to come in as recently as today someone dropped off a cheque at Careforce office for $3000.00!!!! Thank you my friends!
What is it like to be home?
Thats a question alot of people ask me and I don't think I do very well at answering the question. I loved walking and I felt very much at home the whole time-except for the fact that my dear husband was too far away. Coming home just seems to be natural and easy. I do miss Diane now and again.
Do you still walk?
I haven't been walking because of this Bell's palsy - my neck and ear are very susceptible to the cold now and I want to be well to get to Africa.
What is Diane doing?
She has a great opportunity to drive truck with her husband in the north for a couple of months. So she is trying to get everything ready to LEAVE again! I am so happy for her and Carmen.
What do you miss the most?
I miss being outside all day, everyday. I have been trying to think of a job that would keep me outside...not coming up with much. I miss meeting new people everyday. I miss sleeping beside trucks, grain bins, walmarts, train tracks (:) and streams. I miss morning prayer with Diane.
How did the walk affect you?
I can't mention all the ways that I was touched by the walk. But Ido know this, God intended the walk to do more than raise funds to build a school in Africa. He is ever pursuing my heart, ever molding my will, ever guiding my purposes. I am changed and in some ways that I don't even realize.
What is next?
We have no plans for more adventure yet...one thing is FOR SURE it will be with Paul along next time. We have played with the idea of walking from the Arctic ocean to the Pacific and then across to the Atlantic. One couple did it in 8 months and they are older than we are.
So, I will write again when we get back from Burkina Faso. God bless you til then.

2 comments:

Sonya and David said...

So good to hear your update. We will be praying for you over this next couple of weeks.
Give our love to Michel and Lydia, Ray, Sharon and the many locals at the VOH.
We hope you will have pics to post on this blog when you return.
God Bless you both!

Sonya & David

Taylor Family said...

Can't wait to see some pics and notes from Burkino Faso!! Hope your "facial fun" has settled down now Denise, I hate to know you got it in Moose Jaw!!