Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Hello Again Friends

Hello all, not that anyone is out there reading this ignored and dusty blog. But some of you might have put on a feed alert and be surprised when you see my new blog pop up!
NOTE: We only have dial up internet at home and are not able to include photos on the blog unless we drive at least a half hour into town and sit in a coffee shop with wireless. It took me at least 20 minutes to get to this screen. So when I can I will include photos but not alot...sorry.

So what have you been up to lately? Well, I have been stepping into a new and unfamiliar experience...Paul and I are at truck driving school. We have spent two weeks in class and two weeks in the trucks learning, learning. All together though we really have only spent a small amount of time behind the wheel on the road. I felt that I was doing pretty well and confidence was growing until today!
Our trainer Pierre is a great guy who has a wonderful french accent. He grew up in Kapukasing and loves the outdoors. He has been training truck drivers for at least 10 years and most of that with the military and colleges. Unusual for the school they put Paul and I in the same truck to train together. We are so happy with that and are enjoying our training.
Today however I got behind the wheel first and Pierre said that we were going to "play in traffic" today. I really didn't do well. After a four day holiday from driving I somehow left my brain at home or forgot to connect my head and body. I missed almost every shift - EVEN UP SHIFTING! Down shifting...well nevermind. I cut corners and ran over curbs (that could have had a person standing on it). Then a supply air hose got a huge leak. We could hear it in the cab and we made a B-line for the shop. I was under alot of pressure, as was the governer that had to keep resupplying the air tanks as the air evacuated out of the ruptured airline. So as I took the last turn on to the road where the shop was I forgot to flip the paddle down to low and ended up in 10th gear and promptly stalled it while my cab was over into the oncoming traffic. No one was in any immediate danger just held up but I had overshot my turn and I was facing a snowbank. I had to back up! Pierre was so great, and Paul is so encouraging. I am praying for help to learn this profession. I would really appreciate ANYONE'S prayers for me (don't worry about Paul he's doing really great :) What I wouldn't give to borrow a tractor and trailer and get on a private road to practice. All my friends that own them live 36 hours away.
So tomorrow I am going to, "turn down the sucks and turn up the awesome," as Andre another trainer says. But only with God's help.
Depending on Him to get me home (in more ways than one), denise

4 comments:

Erin said...

wow....i had just about given up on this site.
what a change...crazy how God places us in the most unlikely spots.
will pray your driving improves and that it won't be as chaotic as this episode.
welcome back to ontario by they way.
erin s.

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

You are right. I check the blog faithfully and almost didn't today. So glad to hear from you. Be patient with yourself. There is a learning curve to everything, some just a little bigger than others. Before you know it, these difficult days will be but a memory! Practice makes perfect.

Sonya and David said...

Dear Friends,

It was so good to "hear" from you again. You have been in our prayers and we will continue to lift you up. We don't need pictures..just a few words now and then. Be encouraged and embrace the change. At our stage of life only God knows....and He may have a huge down pouring of blessings right around the next corner..or over the next curb.:)
God bless you both!!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.