Monday, April 10, 2006

23 kms

I walked 23 kms on Friday (April 7)! I felt good and didn't feel any sores or pains from the walk. The only problem I had on the walk was my old enemy BOREDOM. I knew it was going to take me at least 4 hours to walk that many kms and so I took my discman and listened for the first hour but it wasn't long until I had had enough of listening. So I decided to think - actively, purposefully think. And I did and that was good, but I have to keep paying attention to my walking - Am I taking too long of a stride? Am I rolling through my feet? Am I pushing off with my toes and extending my stride at the back? Am I walking too fast or too slow?
Patience, I know I have written about this before but I am amazed that THIS is my biggest hurdle. When I am walking (376 days to go) I envision that there will always be people walking with me. This could be of course a good thing or a bad thing. But I will try to focus on the fact that though I may be frustrated, or even angry - at least I won't be bored :)
On the other walking days I walk about 6 kms - I don't want to wear out my joints before the walk... so I am just taking one simple step at a time.
If you have a minute check out this interesting site www.juststopandthink.com

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Hey!

Way to go! You are a real power walker! You'll be one of those power walkers in the Olympics before you know it!! Ok...maybe not, but you are going to doing something bigger than you ever thought possible. And hey how many of those Olympic dude's have walked from Ontario to Melfort...none!!!! Good job. Love the comments, next time you get bored, just sing a song about....hmmm (as Elijah would say) you'll figure it out.
blessings,

Jon