Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Look where we walked to today!

Today we walked into and through "the Soo," as the residents call their city. It was again very hot (29) but we kept hydrated and walked slowly. We had lots to keep our attention as we were in the city from about 10 am.


Concerned about a slow leak on a rear inside tire, Diane & Paul struck a plan for Diane to drop us off at our walk point and then take the RV to a Goodyear shop. We would walk to meet her there. As it turned out 1. it only took an hour to get it fixed, 2. it only cost $22.50. So we met at a designated spot and we continued on walking and sent Diane on to WalMart where she would be able to get into some air conditioning. The thermostat in the RV said it was 93 degrees!


We arrived at WalMart and joined Diane at Chez MacDonald's. Leaving Diane to wait for us to call we continued on to Fourth Line - our 25 km destination for today.


It just so happened that we ended our walk at an ice cream shop! So I went in to get cones and only after they were in my hand realized that they didn't take debit! She was going to give them to me for free but I assured her that our driver was coming and then we would pay her.


So while Paul sat in a breezy porch I laid in the sun to try to even out my odd tan. My legs are three shades of brown and my face puts one in mind of a racoon! Paul suggested I should try to not wear my sunglasses when not walking.




Lupins grow wild here!

Did you know that lupins grow wild around here? I had no idea - I thought Nova Scotia was the only place they thrive like this. There is so much to listen to and see I feel like I am missing so much when I wear my ipod.



Now Paul! no hitch hiking!!! We wanted to give you a glimpse of the road we walked on Monday.

Last night something amazing happened. We were camped at the Ojibway Campground and another RV pulled in beside us. When we came back from our walk the two men were sitting outside. I said hello but they didn't respond. Later when I went out to video tape I spoke to them again. They said they were from Holland touring Canada for a month. I told them that I would have to get my husband because his name is DEGRAAF. They looked surprised. I thought it was just because he was of Dutch heritage. But they said we are DeGraaf too! with 2 a's not 2 f's. We had a wonderful time chatting and taking some video of the three DeGraafs.

Diane is waiting to be picked up so I will have to go. Starting to walk north of the Soo tomorrow. Lots of people say how bad the hills are going to be. I am excited to meet the challenge ahead. I know who lives on those big bad hills - my Lord. He will be there waiting for me. And I am going to imagine all my friends cheering me on.

See you at the top! Hey don't forget Christ is coming back!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Denise I have been following your progress via your blog and it is so exciting seeing all the things that you see. I have been praying for you and Paul and Diane.
It must be so nice to have Paul along for the month of June.
I miss you guys and hope someday soon to visit you in SK.
Just wanted to say hi and tell you how proud I am of you. I tell everyone I meet what you are doing!!!
Love your brother,
Andrew

PS...Paul keep on keeping on. I love you!