Monday, February 26, 2007

Jon Krakauer


Jon Krakauer first introduced me to extreme adventure books. I don't remember...oh yes I do...I heard an interview on CBC with Jon about his book, "Into Thin Air" which told of his assignment as journalist for Outside magazine on a tragic assent of Everest. It was the first book, that I couldn't put down. It was too soon over and I was hungry (ravenous) for more.
Since then I have read nothing but adventure/travel genre. I was going to name them all but the list is long and if you really are interested (which I doubt) you can leave a comment (which no one seems to do anymore on my blog) and I will compile a list of some excellent books for you.
All that to say: I am reading another of his books, "Into the Wild." It is the true account of a young man who gave away all his savings, burned the money he carried, and walked into the Alaskan wilderness only to be found months later by a moose hunter. It is estimated that he had died two weeks before his rescuers appeared on the scene. Again, Krakauer draws out facinating and disturbing evidence of a seemingly "normal" young man who although living on the edge of extreme for some of his life could be any one of us if we would let our childhood fantasies of escaping to the wild become reality. It doesn't seem to be a long road from one side to the other.
Well, maybe it is shorter for some of us than others ;)
So, again we see the moral of the story is that I AM NOT CRAZY AFTERALL! This little walk of mine is fraught with all kinds of safety features, safety nets, and safety considerations. Our "happy band" will walk the daily route and savour every human encounter (good or bad), every wildlife encounter, every coffee counter (woops slipping off there).
I am into these triplets tonight. Ok enough. Paul is out playing basketball and I am home alone writing to you - being crazy.
Something I can tell you that is very serious - a massage therapist gave me a gift certificate for 2 - 1.5 hour sessions for deep tissue massage and stretching. I have never had a massage before but I know I have the MASS and the AGE for it so I look forward to her gift. I would like to put her logo on my website and the chiropractor who gave me the orthodics as well. Very generous.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Well Lucy, you are incredible! You look at all these people who are doing unimaginable feats and say "I'm only doing a little thing." I disagree! You are investing your life in the lives of others. Your task is not about yourself or your personal ambition; it's about the eternal kingdom of heaven. 3000 steps invested in God's economy translates to eternal dividends. You will never know the true value of what you are doing, because God will use it for generations after you are gone from the face of this earth and your walk will be a faded memory. the simple steps you take this year will have a goliath impact in the hands of our almighty God. God bless you for your sacrifice. I admire your visionary initiative and I'm with you all the way.
UMLB, paul

Diane said...

Denise, I hope you're bringing some of these books on the road. Would bove to read it first hand. The Kontiki, Thor Hyerdahl..crosses the ocean in a balsa raft. That's the first true adventure that comes to mind.

Keep posting, we'll get around to commenting eventually... (personally, I think I'll catch up on the road, OK?)

Love Ya,
Diane