Wednesday, March 08, 2006

First Blood

Well not as dramatic as that - but I have sustained my first injury from pushing my body further than I have ever gone before. I even went to the Dr to see if Paul was wrong when he told me that the terrible pain was from using my trekking poles when I walked 18 kms on Friday. The Dr agreed and prescribed Ibuprophen alternated with Tylenol to heal this injured muscule.

Man! does it hurt when I move it in just the right or is that the wrong way. The pain takes over every other function of my body - breathing, thinking, moving. Oh yeah boys, and it not only stabs but then it resonates for what seems like 5 min but I know it is only 5 sec.

But pain is my friend, right? Sure, it brings my attention to a part of my body that can go undetected for years if it were not for the voice given to it by pain. OK! I am listening. My plans, actions and expectations change because of the communication of pain. My focus now is to help this muscle in my arm to heal - I wont push as hard when I walk, wont use my poles, am taking medication 4xs a day. I need my whole body to be functioning well for the walk ahead. Even one muscle, small as it is can cause me to be hindered in my goals.

Pain is my friend in other ways too. The pain of a broken relationship, failure at work, moral fall disappointment with life, all chase me like mad dogs to bury my face in the chest of my Lord Jesus. My tears are all caught in heaven the Bible says, and I am promised comfort and maturity. Those are grand rewards and well worth any pain.

Remember, "The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." Galatians 5:6

No comments: