Monday, March 06, 2006

SimpleSteps in Training

I heard a story about a young boy who was watching an artist sculpt a granite block. The boy would visit the artist at his work regularly and one day realized that he knew what the statue was. He asked a childlike question, "How did you know the lion was in the stone?"
(I am unable to correctly credit my source for this story because I have no idea where I heard it.)

After my children grew up to be admirable adults and I had worked myself right out of my job (being a mother) I found myself searching. Seeking to understand the shape and dynamic of Denise DeGraaf became a full time pursuit. Like an intepid explorer I sought to follow that which I could hear faintly calling me from places I had never been.

Failure was part of my journey of mapping the coastline of my future. Working in a financial institution required 120% output. And after 6 months of arriving early, working late, skipping coffee breaks and lunch hours the sweet HR person suggested that I find something that I was good at.

I was not disappointed to be released but it did take some time to accept the fact that I couldn't do EVERYTHING. Yes, it was my belief that I could do anything I chose to. POP! (that was my bubble bursting)

Fast forward to January 2006: I am driving alone for 4 hours. God always meets me so powerfully when we are alone in the truck. A Brian Doerkson Cd Today was playing and the lyrics in one of the songs jumps into my throat and slides down into my heart and I begin to cry out to God,"Lead us Lord, into a life of fruitfulness; Prepare our hearts to risk again; And as we trust, taking simple steps of obedience, we know that you will lead us Lord."
Fruitfulness (I felt so barren), risk again (failure had beat me), simple steps (move forward), and you will lead us Lord (He hasn't forgotten about me) - these words were like drops of fresh hope. It was then at that moment when my heart was stretching to touch Him that He gave me a gift.

I would walk (simple steps) 3000 kms from Ontario to Saskatchewan (home) and raise $100 per km for the Village of Hope, Burkina Faso West Africa.

There are many reasons to not do this walk: 1. 48 year old woman, 2. 243lbs (when I started), 3. never done anything like this before, 4. too many logistics to work out, 5. too many dangers along the way, 6. what if I fail.

There are more reasons to do this work/walk: 1. 48 year old woman, 2. 243lbs (when I started), 3. I have wanted to walk long distances for 20 years, 4. the whole project is bigger than I am, 5. I am not afraid of following God anywhere, 6. you only fail when you stop trying - I will be failing if I don't try, 7. I want to live for others who don't have as much as me - I believe God has given the world enough for everyone to live but some are chosen to be givers and some play the role of accepters, both are blessed in their roles. 8. The people in Africa have something to give to us - we have been raped by our affluence we need their help.

The other day when I was doing an 18km walk I began to think about how I needed to look inside myself and see what was in there that was beginning to take shape. I asked God the question the boy asked of the artist, "How did you know the walker/giver was in the stone."
We both smiled.

Please pray for me as I train and work on the logistics of the project. Thanks for believing in me.




1 comment:

Paul said...

I am so proud of you! I still believe you can do anything.

UMLB, p.