Thursday, March 09, 2006

Gave it Away

Walking for long stretches gives you lots of time to think. Often I visualize situations that might come up during the walk.

Scenerio 1: I wake up in my cozy tent, in my cozy sleeping bag and hear rain on the tent for the fifth day in a row.
What are the implications of rain while walking on the side of a road? Trucks washing me with their spray every 3 minutes; shoulder of road gets muddy or washed out, visability lowered, hypothermia becomes an issue if you are wet/chilled, wet shoes lead to poor foot health, discouragement sets in as you feel like the weather is working against you (my Dad told me to never fight against nature cuz it will always win).
Plan: Have extra shoes available, wear the right rain gear, set your mind on walking into better weather - the prairies are drier than northern Ontario.

Scenerio 2: I get sick (flu, bronchitis, head cold) and have reoccuring injuries that makes walking painful.
The problems I forsee here are: not allowing an injury to heal and therefore jeapordizing the whole walk, and losing my mental stamina and will to go on. Others who are travelling with me may out of kindness encourage me to not continue.
Plan: I will always respect my day of rest on Sunday. I will see a Dr as soon as possible. I will give away my right to stop walking.
It is no longer within my right or power to stop walking - I have empowered only one person to make that decision. My husband Paul is a very wise man who is balanced in his decisions and who will not allow me to give up easily. We will have a procedure in place that must be followed to change the plan. He will have many options for directing me such as, "Stay where you are for 3 days." or "Keep going but walk shorter sections between rests." or the ultimate which I will not even write so that it never becomes a full thought - because thoughts become actions and I will not, will not.

Scenerio 3: The people who are travelling with me to support the walk begin to fight and cause problems.
I find interelational problems very draining and I would need to protect my mind from this enemy of courage.
Plan: I will visualize myself in a bubble emotionally separate from the others around me. I will recognize that I can't become entangled in these relational spats as it will deter and discourage my goal. I will focus my mind on my own goal of finishing the route. I will remember I started out on this venture in my mind alone, and I have to isolate myself to gain my goal.

Well, thats some I have thought through. I still have a year and a month before I get to exercise my plans. But I have already given it away - my rights over my body. It is a freeing thing and success seems even more possible now. Thats one less thing I have to carry on my shoulders as I walk.

Simple steps, simple steps, simple steps, simple steps, simple steps.......

No comments: