Monday, April 30, 2007

Day 1


PHOTOS: top - saying goodbye from Melfort, below - the elders commission Denise & Diane

Simple Steps Walk Monday, April 23, 2007 written in Winnipeg, MB

DEPARTURE As decided early on, we went to Crossroads restaurant for breakfast on the day of our departure. Amie and Jonathan (my daughter and son-in-law) and my grandchildren, Elijah and Grace were with us. We talked about nothing important but it was an extremely important time together. Diane and I would get into the RV and drive south while the rest would just go home – our lives taking separate directions for a time and in God’s will. The goodbye’s were shortened by the cold rain but they were warm and my last glimpse of Paul was in the side mirror.
GAS MILAGE It is a large vehicle we have been blessed with and it seems to lumber down the road. We have tried to figure out our gas consumption and it seems to be about 24 – 26 miles/gal. That seems unbelieveably good and so I wonder if I did the calculations properly? One segment was 310 km with a fill up of 86 litres (I am giving you litres and kms it needs to be converted as well). Can someone send me a formula for this calculation?
DAY OF FIRSTS So this was a day of firsts. Our first try at using the cardlock system – everything went great! Thanks good Nabers. We also had our first lunch while driving. We both spent time driving while the other napped. Our first stay in someone’s driveway and our first night of sleeping in the RV. I had originally thought that I would sleep on the couch but then decided to fold down the table and make a bed. Although we had no heat it was very comfortable and cozy in our sleeping bags.
Overwhelmed with thankfulness Diane and I both expressed to each other many times yesterday at how grateful we were to be chosen to do this walk. That we were the least of all who God could have laid His hand on, but He graciously chose us! And then we were overwhelmed with thankfulness when we looked through the cards and gifts that we have be showered with. THANK YOU to everyone who has said words of encouragement, “You’re doing the right thing!” or “I believe in you.” Thank you to everyone who has given to us out of your own need. May our Lord richly bless you in return for all you have done. Thank you to all who have said they would pray – we are counting on those prayers for every leg of the journey. Thank you to our husbands who believe we are following the calling of our Lord to do this work for Him and who have sent us with their blessings.
And so arriving in Winnipeg at about 9pm we found Jim and Heather’s house, backed into their driveway and went in for a visit. They have recently renovated and their bathroom is like a spa. While I went out to get my things, Jim was so kind to draw a bath for me in the oversized Jacuzzi tub. With candles lit, I lay in the hot water thinking about the times I would crave a hot bath while on the road ahead. But for now I would just enjoy it and thank God for this surprising moment of tranquility and happiness. I thought about Paul and prayed that he would have peace and joy in his journey. I thought about all the faces that populate my heart and I asked God to return the blessing they have sent with us to their hearts until they are overflowing.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Thanks for thinking about me! My thoughts go to you innumerable times throughout the day.
UMLB, paul