Monday, April 30, 2007

Day 3

Simple Steps Walk Wednesday, April 25, 2007 written in Golden Lake
Kilometers covered today:
DEPARTURE I woke up at 5:30 Saskatchewan time, changed my clothes and started driving while Diane continued to sleep. It was a beautiful morning and the sun was making my eyes burn with its intensity. But my sun glasses were hanging in the back and so I just kept driving.
I realized that the gas was extremely low and that I should have stopped at Marathon to fill up. I didn’t know how much further the next town was and so I began to ask the Lord for a pull off spot. One came up and I was glad to pull into a very large graveled area where a semi driver was resting as well. I emptied the two jerry cans into the gas tank.
Diane was up and we boiled some water to make ourselves a bfast of oatmeal and bananas (the ones the ladies at the church gave us for on our way). We also started our lunch by making up some couscous salad. (Thank you Amie for the recipe – that bowl of salad has provided many meals!)
We stopped at White River at a Husky and took a shower ($4: includes two towels and no time restriction – although my water went cold and I figured it might be time to get out). There was one small item missing in my shower – a LOCK on the door! So I place the chair in front of the door so I would at least hear if someone was coming in. Leaving my socks on so I wouldn’t pick up plantars warts I enjoyed my shower and was ready for another day on the road.
At Wawa we stopped at a Tim Hortons around noon. They have just opened a new one there, what a beautiful store. We promised we would come back and enjoy the enormous goose, the great little store, and the new Tim Hortons again on our way home. We decided to set our goal for Pembroke tonight.
By Sault St. Marie we were again desperate for gas. The Husky station that is situated in front of the WalMart parking lot was our choice. The lady behind the counter asked where we were going. I explained the walk to her and she was very excited, shook my hand, and wished me well. She said she’d be looking for us coming back through so I hope to stop in there and shake her hand again.
I have been failing at hearing God’s voice telling me to speak to people. I think about giving someone a Bible or tract and then make reasons why they wouldn’t be interested. I will keep trying and working on my skill of engaging people in conversation.
It was 1:30 am when we pulled into the Irving truck stop on Hwy 17 in Pembroke. The manager (Mike) told us if we want to park there for the night we should park in the far corner. I thought that was very nice of him. There must have been 50 semis there all backed in neatly in a row and then our RV tucked in over in the back corner by the dumpsters. We slept well again. Both of us are very comfortable in our beds. And we are warm too.

No comments: