Monday, April 30, 2007

Day 2



PHOTOS: Having fun at the Ontario welcome sign.

Simple Steps Walk Tuesday, April 24, 2007 written in Golden Lake

DEPARTURE Got a late start from Winnipeg this morning but then we made up for it by travelling into the night.
Just outside Winnipeg we stopped at St. Anne’s to get gas and bought a 20 litre jerry can. Last night’s host, Jim, lent us another 20 litre jerry can. Now we carry 40 l of gas in our outside compartment. This will extend the reach of our gas card, allow us to drive through the night and feel secure about never running out of gas.
The terrain began to change thoughout the morning. The trees began to stand closer together and move in toward the road. They became taller and rocks were scattered about their roots. My emotions swelled as we approached the Ontario border. I settled into the peace that coming to a familiar place brings to the soul. That feeling of home encompassed me for hours, kilometers, and a day until we reached Josh & Becky’s (my son & daughter-in-law) home in Golden Lake in the Ottawa valley.
Passing by our goal for the day, Thunder Bay, we went on to Terrace Bay. The description of the Thunder Bay Husky truck stop gave us a false impression of what we would find. What we found was a dumpy little place with a parking area that was dimly lit. Neither of us felt comfortable parking for the night at this place and so we agreed on driving further. Thunder Bay was also a disappointment because it was to be our last fill up on the gas card but the Cardlock only carried diesel.
I would say I am very flexible with changing plans on the go but tonight I was disappointed with my frustration with these developments. This is an area that I am going to work on over the next five months. I will choose to focus on finding doors to maintain momentum and not stand staring at the wall in front of me.
In Terrace Bay we stopped in the parking lot of the Tourist Info place which shares its pavement with the public library. We decided we would bed down and if a police officer woke us and asked us to move on we would have at least gotten some sleep. And so we settled.

No comments: