Saturday, March 03, 2007

I am intrepid!

Sufferin suckatash! I just wrote a whole blog and went to look for the poem that is below and realized that the blog was gone! Argggg. Ok, I will try again.

I am walking again. With only 7 weeks left to departure it is imparitive that I get more training in and a few 25 km days in a row under my belt. So, today when I really did not want to walk and Paul asked when we were going to go for a walk I pouted and said - its my sabbath. He didn't fall for that. Early on in our planning this walk I had asked him to be my trainer. Well today he shone!
He left what he was doing, came to the room where I was and kneeled on the floor before me. The he gave the greatest, "What Every Endurance Athlete Needs to Know" speech ever. If you had been able to listen hard enough you could have heard that music they play during all of those terrible American sports movies where the underdog coach challenges the underdog team and they win the all-state championships. You know the movies. You know the music.
But honestly, what a gift he gave me today. When we got out there in one especially exposed area the wind was blowing so hard Paul had to cover his face with two hands. I had fortunately worn sunglasses which protected my eyes and my neckwarmer was pulled up to my nose. I was intrepid! so indomitable! exactly like what Paul had told me - I WAS AN ENDURANCE ATHLETE!
How our words have power. Thank you Paul. I am going to need your encouragement every day on the walk. Counting on the best trainer any woman (any endurance athlete) could ever have!

GROW old along with me!
The best is yet to be,
The last of life, for which the first was made:
Our times are in his hand
Who saith, ``A whole I planned,
Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!''
from Robert Browning's Rabbi Ben Ezra

No comments: