Saturday, September 01, 2007

Just relax and walk!

Hi everyone. As you can see on the GREAT google map that my dear husband has worked so hard on (thanks Paul!) we will walk into Regina on Monday and walk out on Tuesday. I am presently sitting in the RV writing to you from the Husky truck stop on the east side of Regina.
As you know from my other blogs I always have trouble with my mind when I reach milestones - and the Saskatchewan border was no different. All of a sudden I wanted to be home immediately. I felt discouraged and flagging in enthusiasm - it honestly scared me. I thought, "How can I do 2500 kms and then fizzle out when I'm so close to home?" The mind is our best tool and can be our worse hindrance. In the survival acronym S.T.O.P. the first instruction is stop followed closely by think. Survival is a matter of using your mind to provide all you will need to get you through until help arrives.
To make matters worse I was beginning to get a consistent ache in my right hip, and left ankle. It pained to the point that I wondered if I would be accompanied by this new partner until I got home.
So I prayed.
The next day I wore my ankle braces and took the orthopedics out. The hip and ankle pain left without so much as a wave goodbye. Then I took myself to task. Seriously talking out loud to myself as I walked. "Now listen Denise. You can't sprint home! You still have 500 kms to do! You have a job to do just like everyone else and yours is to walk 30 kms everyday. You only have to do that for another 20 days. So just relax and walk. Do your work diligently and without complaining. Look at what a great work environment you have! If you keep up with this bad attitude you are only working against yourself. So do the daily goal and eventually you will achieve your goal of being home with your husband again. UNDERSTAND?" And I did understand and I did settle down and now I am content to walk each day, happily strolling through our great province.
The mind has to be bridled and managed in all circumstances. Where has your mind been lately? And where is it taking you?
New topic: I saw a badger the other day. It was such a blessing to see such a mysterious animal. I have also see three snakes (just garters) in the past week which is surprising because I haven't seen one yet.
Diane is with her family tonight. Today marks the day that Logan (Diane's first grandchild) was introduced to his Baba Hawreschuk. Logan is happy contented little fellow and his mom is a natural. I hope they have a wonderful time together.
Only 16 more walking days! Can you believe it? I am really finding it hard to understand that I have really walked all that way. I know that may seem strange - I find it strange too.
Next weekend I will be staying with our daughter and her family at Caronport. They have just recently returned to school after pastoring a church for 4 years (is that right? maybe 3 yrs?). Anyway we will be at the Sunningdale Community Church in Moose Jaw and then on Monday we will be at Briercrest for their chapel. I will get an extra day off there and then start toward Saskatoon on Tuesday. The following weekend (Sept 16) I will be presenting at Calvary Church in Saskatoon and then starts the one week walk to Melfort. ....

5 comments:

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

There was no doubt you could/can do it! Hang in there, we are all praying for you! Just imagine the blessings waiting for you along your journey.

Taylor Family said...

Denise, we're so excited that you're in SK now! We're really looking forward to seeing you Sunday at Sunningdale!

Lisa

Unknown said...

Hi Denise:
Just to let you know I'm still following your progress and am amazed at God's lessons along the way, hang in there. Don't let Satan have any part of this, he may try but you are in God's protective hands. God is your strength and hope. And don't forget He still has a plan for you when your walking journey is ended on this trail. God Bless you and Paul for the sacrifices in serving Him.
Carol Nykiforuk

Jean Brodie said...

Hi Denise- Pastor Bruce Mitton taught me "take your mind captive" and what a great example of that you have done. Thankyou for the awesome opportunity you have given to so many of us to watch and pray as you walk!! When it's over I will truly miss checking your site each day after work!! Give amie and fam and extra hug- from the Brodies-for old times sake!! Lean heavy on Your Lord and Saviour- He can take it!! Luv ya Jean

Maren H. said...

Hey there, you two! Interesting to hear your thoughts as you get close to home (relatively speaking!!). It's so much easier to imagine you walking along roads I know. And it is still amazing - I'm sure it is very hard to feel like you've actually walked all that way. It will be good to see you again. I keep praying - and I'll see you soon. Maren