Friday, May 18, 2007

First time for everything

Tonight I was afraid. We met a group of 5 men three times throughout the day and I felt rather stalked. So I asked Diane if she would mind if we could spend the night in a hotel. Here we are and there happens to be wireless internet! It is the May 24th weekend so I expected to not be able to find a hotel room but the first place we stopped at was able to give us a room. Pricey enough, but it is very, very clean.
My feet are sore with blisters. Someone suggested tea bags and I meant to do that tonight but I forgot them in the RV.
What a great day today. Perfect weather and I talked to Steve at CJVR on his morning show and Logan at CJVR for his news spots.
Yesterday, I ducked into the woods to go pee and Diane drove past me without knowing where I was. When she couldn't find me she started to panic. I felt terrible when she finally came back and with tears in her eyes said, "I was so happy to see that orange vest! I didn't know what I would tell Paul." We decided if I ever do that again I would leave my vest and sticks by the side of the road for her to see.
Scott phoned me today. He was caught in a traffic jam near Cobourg because of a bad accident on the 401. He was on his way to my brother's Bookstore Cafe to do a gig there and then spend some time with Uncle Al. He was feeling trapped. We talked about when Paul & I are windbound while canoeing and how irrational it seems but I get that trapped feeling too. We have everything we need and only need to wait out the weather but its not as easy as it seems. It was nice talking and it was nice that he called me to chat. He called back later estatic with his freedom. He had taken a risk and used an emergency vehicle turnaround and got into the west bound lanes. HE WAS FREE! He couldn't believe his joy as he navigated through small towns to get to Al's. It was so nice to share that moment with him too.

2 comments:

Isabel A. said...

Hi Denise and Paul, It is a rainy Sunday afternoon in south central Manitoba and seeding for us was finished in the wee hours this morning before the rain started. In another two weeks, all the fields should be up and green and lush. I just reviewed the blog since about a week ago. You have been much on my mind as I did what needed to be done to help with getting fields worked and keeping the air seeder and operator supplied. I can appreciate your desire to stay in a motel for a night. Having such places available when something else doesn't feel safe is a blessing in itself. I needed a motel for a night on the way home from Melfort conference, caught a touch of what was going around... It is interesting as you share the details of the things you are learning along the way, (leave a sign when you leave the road, etc.) I appreciate the pictures. I have had family living in Barrie and other areas in Ontario but have never visited there. My prayers are also with the husbands trying to manage at home without you ladies, you may not realize till after what such a separation means. I spent 6 weeks away when our son was hospitalized from an accident, and although my husband visited for a day each week, he found the days and nights long without the usual companionship and help. I was so pleased to hear before you left that Paul plans to spend the month of June walking with you. This is probably too long, so I best quit for now. Isabel A.

Sonya and David said...

HI Denise!!

Just your road side prayer warriors checking out your blog here. Glad you made it through those hills! You are daily in our thoughts and prayers!!

Sonya & David