Thursday, July 05, 2007

Accidental wireless

We have wireless accidently tonight. We are parked at the Canadian Tire parking lot in Nipigon. After only having done 18 km Diane got out of the RV and came walking toward me on the shoulder. The engine was overheating and the rad was spewing out of it's overflow tank. We had been suspicious of the thermostat for a couple of days but now the engine was spiking to HOT while driving. It was time to take this seriously. So I completed the last few km (only did 25 today because of the circumstances), and Diane waited for 45 minutes twice before starting the engine and coming to where I had walked. When we reached a snowplow turnaround we knew that going further would put the engine in danger of permanent damage. So we sat in the RV trying to decide what to do. We had already asked the Lord for wisdom and so now we were weighing out our options:

1 We had NO cell phone coverage to call CAA.

2 Nipigon was 34 kms away so riding the bike there (up very long steep hills) was not an option.

3 Hitching a ride was an option but both should go as one alone could be dangerous.



As we sat considering our plan of action a car drove right up to the RV and a man stepped out. "You having trouble?" he asked. The licence plate said Manitoba so that was our first reason to trust him. Plus he had his wife in the car! And when we asked which way they were headed he pointed west! Our decision was made for us. Both of us would go into Nipigon to phone CAA, get a shower (thank you Husky truck stops for having showers!), and have some supper.


After some discussion with CAA they finally confirmed that a truck would be coming from Thunder Bay, he would pick us up at the Husky truck stop and then we would go with him to the RV. The Lord sent someone who was very nice and knew what he was doing. He had to remove the drive shaft to tow the RV so under he went to get it off.

So now we sit here waiting for Canadian Tire to open tomorrow morning at 9 am.


I am concerned about getting my mileage in for the day and I have considered catching a ride with someone at the truck stop out to the start point and walking 34 kms back to Nipigon UNSUPPORTED, ON ME OWN, ALONE!! Ok I have to admit I am a bit scared to 1 find a ride out to the spot, 2 walk by myself (bears, heat, bugs). So many excuses. Maybe I should do that. I was going to do the whole walk like that at one time. The other problem I have is that (foolishly) I didn't bring my backpack. So I would need to pack all of my water, lunch and snacks somewhere. I guess I could wait til Canadian Tire opens and buy one and then leave.... I am going to pray about it tonight while I sleep.

Well, we know we are safe in God's hands. There is nothing that surprises Him and He cares for me (and you right where you are).



July 4: Let me introduce you to Harry & Patti-Ann from Melfort. Due to the fog in the morning i was walking late in the day (5:30 pm). I saw a man coming toward me and he shouted out, "Are you the lady from Melfort?" What a boost for the day! This couple treated us like special friends. And within a half hour I felt we were waving goodbye to people we had known for a long time. A special thanks to you both for your kindnesses. I completed that big hill that night before we bedded down at the snowplow turnaround at the top of the hill.
This really doesn't show the hill very well but I wanted to point out that the height of land that makes up the horizon in this photo was where I had walked earlier that afternoon. Isn't is amazing how far just these two feet can take you?

I am always amazed that these sweet peas grow wild along the shoulders of the road. They are lovely (I forgot to see if they are fragrant). Often as I walk I am shocked by the beautiful smells that waft past me.

Well, must go. Thanks to all who comment and all who are praying. I believe your prayers send people along at the right time, and help us in all our little day to day decisions. Keep up the hard work! We need your support in this way.

1 comment:

Bud Penner said...

Hi Denise and Paul
It is early in the morning. I couldn't get to sleep after my walk to the (blank) as a reasult of too much water last evening. Thank God no bears or moose on the way to the "Inn House".
I've been trying to keep in step with your "Simple Steps" weekly and praying for you. You are doing GREAT! May the Lord continue to keep you safe, Denise! May He also keep you focused on Him and the calling to help the children at VOH!
Love you both,
Bud Penner