Saturday, July 21, 2007

Feeling dizzy

Hi friends, Its the weekend and we have walked into Ignace. Today was a short day since 1. I had walked 33 km one other day this week, 2. I wasn't feeling too well, a bit of a sore throat and dizzy again, 3. Paul told me not to throw the log off by adding kms to the week! So I only walked 18.8 km today. But we had a an eventful day.
This is Rich Ralph from Vancouver (earlier from Kingston, ON), he is roller blading across Canada followed by his dedicated parents in a RV. They are working really hard to raise funds for cancer research. It was great to talk to the Ralphs; Diane and Carmen exchanged notes with Rich's parents while we discussed the road and fund raising trials. He has a great attitude and I hope he does well. He does approximately 100-120km per day. He will be the first person to blade across Canada! Way to go Rich!!!


Yesterday we came across a dead bear. She was small (probably a yearling). I thought her paws were beautiful. Hwy 17 is a dangerous road. Seeing road kill always reminds me that I work in a dangerous place.

Wednesday morning of this week I turned over in bed and the whole RV turned over with me. I put my hand on the wall trying to stop it from turning. I was finally able to open my eyes. (Even writing about this brings me more dizziness) I got up and went outside and tried to vomit but wasn't able to "be productive" as a nurse might say. I pushed myself to start walking and eventually the dizziness went away. But I have never fully recovered - it doesn't stop me but its there. I had thought that first day that it was sun stroke as I had walked late, the sun was low and yet still strong, and I hadn't worn my sunglasses. But I have been very faithful to wear hat and sunglasses since. This afternoon, I was REALLY dizzy again. I ate and then slept for 1.5 hours. Diane encouraged me to get some medical care and I finally gave in. We went to the supermarket here in Ignace to ask if there was a walk in clinic. No, only an ambulance station. They suggested we ask them for help. They were excellent! They took my blood pressure -fine, my blood sugar - fine, and a heart something or other - she looked at the paper and said that I had a nice "P" curve? I told her thats cuz I had kids and the bladder just aint what it used to be. The other thought I had was a potassium deficiency. So I am eating sardines, bananas, and mandarin oranges. I don't know whats wrong but I am not going to walk without eating first - new rule. And although it is counter intuitive I have to eat more...not as easy as it sounds. I could really use your prayers about this.

Thanks for all your prayers and concern. We will be just resting tomorrow and then heading for Dryden on Monday! and Manitoba in two weeks!!! Yeeee

3 comments:

Mom said...

I am so glad that you sought some help. I have been praying for you and I thought of you first thing this morning .I will continue to pray about this and all the things that may hinder you and Diane on this endevour. God Bless Mom.

Melodee said...

Hey Denise and Diane,
I finally figured out how to get an account. I had one but it wouldn't recognize me, so I have been spending all this time trying to figure something out. I have been praying for you and thinking of you every day. I feel for you Denise with the dizzy spells since I get those all the time due to meniere's disease. I will be praying that you can get some help with that.
Love you both.
Melodee

Sonya and David said...

Have been praying for all 3 of you over this past weekend. We trust that the Great Physician has placed His hand upon you today! He will give you all the strength you need to be an overcomer!
Keep pressing on for the glory of God.

Sonya and David